About Us

Our Heritage

Lucy Castings is part of the Lucy Group heritage

The Lucy Story

Our history is one of innovation and bold decisions. We have achieved growth and diversification by believing in our people, investing in new products, taking brave decisions and building trusted relationships. We believe this heritage is a strong foundation for a bright future.

We can trace our origins all the way back to the very earliest beginnings of the Lucy Group where back in 1825 the Jericho Iron and Brass Foundry, was opened in Walton Well Road in Oxford. With over 200 years of iron casting experience under our belt we have adapted to customer needs by combining traditional values with modern casting techniques.

Our Heritage

It is believed that the origins of Lucy Group reach as far back as 1760. However, the Company has been in existence since 1812 when William Carter opened an ironmongery shop on the High Street in Oxford, UK. In 1825, the business moved to a new brass and iron foundry in Jericho in 1825, a site which became known as Eagle Works, and is still the headquarters of Lucy Group today.

Since then the Group has continued to expand and diversify into new markets and regions. Lucy Group now employs over 1,400 people and trades in over 60 countries.

Please see our illustrated timeline below to see a heritage of innovation, change and expansion:

2018

New technology Centre at LEMT.

Read full story

2018

Lucy Group Ltd acquires Lawson Fuses Ltd.

Read full story

2018

Lucy Group Ltd Acquires Arteche Electrical Switchgear Business in Brazil

Read full story

2017

W. Lucy & Co. Ltd changed its name to Lucy Group Ltd.

Read full story

2015

Acquisition of Crompton Greaves™ equity interests in CG Lucy Switchgear Ltd and the GridKey business from Selex ES Ltd.

Read full story

2014

Lucy Electric’s Thailand manufacturing and commercial activities established.

2013

Acquisition of Truscanian Ltd, an aluminum and bronze casting business; Lucy Castings formed combining Truscanian Ltd and Sandawana Castings Ltd.

Read full story

2011

Zodion Limited Net Assets were acquired and integrated with Lucy Lighting to become Lucy Zodion Ltd.

Read full story

2008

Redevelopment of the former Eagle Works site complete; Lucy Real Estate business unit established to combine Lucy Properties, Lucy Development and Lucy Block Management.

2005

Lucy Electric moves to Thame and all manufacturing ends at Eagle Works; third factory opens in Dubai for RMUs and SF6 switchgear.

2003

Development agreement for Eagle Works signed with Berkley Homes.

2001

Major business reorganisation takes place to modernise and expand the Lucy Group.

1999

Lucy Electric opens first manufacturing unit in United Arab Emirates.

1996

Acquisition of Power Isolators Ltd & Power Connectors Ltd.

1994

CG Lucy Switchgear Ltd joint venture established with Grants Greaves.

1990

Richard Dick takes over as Chairman.

1989

Acquisition of Sandawana Castings.

1959

WL Shareholding Co Ltd incorporated, stabilising independent ownership.

1950

Gordon Dick succeeds as Chairman.

1930

Gordon Dick joins Lucy’s and together with Chief Engineer L.P. Lockwood undertakes a major redesign programme.

1925

John Reid Dick becomes Chairman.

1911

Lucy acknowledges future lies in the electrical business by joining BEAMA.

1905

William Madgen appoints John Reid Dick as Managing Director.

1897

Charles Kelley takes over and forms W Lucy & Co Ltd.

1864

Business changes name to Grafton & Lucy.

1838

Business (now owned by Charles Grafton) renamed Eagle Ironworks.

1825

Carter opens the Jericho Iron and Brass Foundry in Walton Well Road.

1812

William Carter opens an ironmongery business on Oxford High Street.

Want to know more about our Corporate Social Responsibility?

CSR

Do you have any questions?

Contact Us